We are more concerned, particularly about aesthetics. Most of us might be worrying about the color of our tooth. As there are many circumstances that can cause discoloration of the tooth. Obviously there are so many options put forward to us to overcome the problem of teeth discoloration.
There are mainly three types of stains
- Extrinsic stains
- Intrinsic stains
- Age-related stains
It affects only the outer surface of the tooth. On the other hand, this type of staining can be easily controlled. Extrinsic stains are caused by the following
- Foods /drinks
Beverages like tea, coffee, fruits like berries, certain vegetables, drinks like Cola, wines Etc can cause stain on the tooth.
Hit to the tooth can result in the non-vital tooth, which may get discolored after some
- Poor dental hygiene Inadequate brushing and flossing will result in plaque accumulation and moreover inadequate removal of stain producing substances.
- Faulty toothbrushing will result in the wearing of enamel leading to yellow dentin visible.
- The use of tobacco products Smoking or chewing pan, tobacco, or betel leaves can cause staining on the teeth.
- Use of mouthwashes Prolonged use of mouthwash can stain your teeth.
Also Read : Causes Of Black spot on gum
The stains that are present within the tooth. It is because of
Certain disease can affect the enamel formation and development leading to tooth
- Problems associated with hard tissue formation of teeth:-
Conditions like amelogenesis imperfectaa and then Dentinogenesis imperfecta can result in tooth discoloration.
- Medications:- Antibiotics like tetracycline and doxycycline given at the time of development of teeth can cause tooth staining.
- Dental filling materials:- Dental filling materials like amalgam can cause discoloration after a certain period because of leakage of corrosion products
- Genetics:- Itshould be noted that some people naturally have brighter enamel than others.
- Dental fluorosis:- Increased fluoride content in drinking water oalong with excessive use of fluoride supplements can cause teeth discoloration.
- Teeth discoloration after trauma:- Trauma to the milk teeth can disturb the forming permanent tooth buds and cause discoloration to the adult teeth.
- Dental cavity:– we can identify cavity as black or brownish discoloration on the surface of the teeth.
- Pink tooth:- Root resorption can cause pinkish discoloration of the teeth
As a result of ageing there will be an increase in the rate of wearing of enamel. Thus enamel layer will become thin and dentin will be visible through this thin layer of enamel.
Also Read : What is the Cause of mouth ulcers
How can you diagnose dental discolorations?
Dentists can diagnose or differentiate between the type of stains that is present on the tooth whether it is intrinsic or extrinsic
How can you prevent discoloration?
Modify your lifestyle /habits
- Quit smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Reduce the consumption of foods and beverages that may stain your teet
- After taking tea or coffee, rinse your mouth properly with water.
Maintain good oral hygiene
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Do flossing daily
- Use mouthwashes only when necessary
- Follow proper brushing techniques to avoid enamel loss.
Take measures to prevent cavity
Replacement of amalgam tooth filling with the tooth-colored filling materials.
Foods that can prevent tooth discoloration :‘
- Green leafy vegetables
- Food rich in higher fiber content
- Foods that contain antioxidants
How to treat tooth discoloration
- For trauma or nonvital tooth, root canal treatment is ideal along with the placement of a ceramic crown
- Hard tissue defect can be hide by fabricating veneer or laminate that makes your tooth looks better.
- Enamel wear because of night grinding can be reduced by wearing a nightguard
- Get regular dental cleaning and assessment.
- Dental whitening treatment or bleaching of discolored tooth:- Tooth whitening is the one which dentist recommends for intrinsic tooth staining, dental fluorosis medication-induced stains Etc.
- Microabrasion:- Make use of instruments which emits powder compressed air along with the water to remove extrinsic stains.
Are teeth stains permanent?
Stains last on the tooth depending on the type of stains.Intrinsic stains are permanent
stains.We can reduce Extrinsic stains by dental cleaning or dental whitening treatment
As dentistry is advancing day by day it is offering us scope for a better smile