Mouth ulcers are small lesions that come on the oral mucosa. They can be painful. It is the result of several factors. Mouth ulcers usually last for 7 to 10 days. But sometimes ulcers keep coming back. There are so many reasons that cause mouth ulcers in child.
What Causes Ulcers in Mouth?
- Traumatic injury to the soft tissue of mouth like an accident, fall
- Certain medical conditions like inflammatory bowel diseases, Crohn’s diseases Etc
- Allergy from medications
- Vitamin deficiency
- Burns resulting from eating hot food items
- Sharp teeth impinging onto the mucosa.
- Viral infections like herpes, cold sores, Chickenpox Etc
- Teething in toddlers
- Poor oral hygiene
Common Location of mouth ulcers in child
- commonly found on the mucosa adjacent to the lips
- below the tongue
- On the cheek and soft palate
- Base of the gums
Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers in Kids
- Small round or oval lesions with reddishness towards the edge that last for a week to 10 days
- Extremely painful lesion
- Soreness in the region of ulcer
- Mild fever
- Bad breath
- Lymph nodes become swollen
- Saliva drooling from the mouth
- Reduced appetite and refusal to eat food.
Also Read : Causes of Mouth Ulcers
How to Prevent Mouth Ulcers in Kids
- Take care not to slip the toothbrush while brushing your child’s teeth
- Use soft bristle toothbrush
- Give nutritious and well-balanced diet
- Treatment of any underlying medical conditions
- Avoid giving too much spicy, sore foods, and acidic drinks as they can irritate the ulcer.
- Maintain good oral hygiene
- Give plenty of water
- Consult a dentist to smoothen the sharp edges of baby teeth.
- Avoid giving too hot drinks or food items.
- Donot talk to the child while the child is eating.
- Avoid any medication or food that cause allergy.
Does your Child need to see a Doctor
You should consult a general practitioner if you a notice the following.
- Weight loss
- Stomach pain
- High fever
- ulcers that comes back regularly
- If the child has any signs of dehydration
Treatment of Mouth Ulcers
Ulcers last for 7 to 10 days and it heals without scarring. Treatment isn’t usually needed. Ulcers Should clear within a week. Ensure proper resh for the child. Give lots of liquids such as water, milk Etc to avoid dehydration. Apply anesthetic gel on the ulcer under the supervision of a general practitioner. Give multivitamin syrup if necessary.
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
- Rinse with saltwater
- Apply ice to the ulceration
- Placing tea bags dipped in cold water onto the ulcer
- Apply honey to the ulcer as honey has antimicrobial property. Do not give honey to children below 1 year.
- Apply turmeric to the ulceration because turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antibacterial property.
- Gargle with coconut milk
- Make your child swirl buttermilk or curd in his mouth
- Apply aloe vera gel to the ulcers- aloe vera has antibacterial and healing properties.
- Use water boiled with basil or Tulsi leaves for rinsing.
The Bottom Line
Toddlers are more susceptible to mouth ulcers as adults .Examine your child’s mouth everyday for any changes. Render proper care to the child ,as they will face difficulty in taking food and they may feel pain because of the ulcer